Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Passion For Climbing

I relish the combined smell of musty rock, sweat, chalk dust, and dirt. I love being outside with the rocks, trees, and the rivers. I love the feel of my body on the rock; I balance one foot on a small nub and glide over onto it and turn as if dancing on a vertical ballroom floor. There is a charge of power as my muscles engage and I reach through a hard section of a climb, having to remind myself to breathe.
Being out in the middle of the forest, the canyon, the valley, or the gorge brings peace to my soul. When I reach the top of a multi-pitch climb I feel like a bird soaring over the land below. The beauty before me inspires awe. I contemplate the greatness of one who designed all that I see around me.
Climbing is an individual sport that requires a team effort. When I first started climbing, I was amazed at what I was able to accomplish with the help and encouragement of those around me. For this reason I also love to teach climbing and see people overcome challenges to achieve heights and feats they perceived as unattainable.
I began to pursue climbing on my own about seven years ago. For years I considered climbing to be a selfish pursuit that did not have much purpose. Recently I have come to realize that doing what I am passionate about not only brings me to life, but also has a positive influence on those around me. Therefore, I plan to spend more time pursuing climbing as a sport, and also as a teacher.